Knowing the process of how to make the perfect Scotch eggs, is even better than knowing the Cadbury secret; How to get that crispy crunchy coating, soft sausage middle and the perfectly cooked runny egg all in one delightful ball of flavour. Its almost a mythical thing.
There are a couple of secrets to getting these perfect. The first is to be very strict on how long to boil the eggs and then to put them in ice water right away. To peel them, gently remove the shell on the narrow end of the egg just enough to clear away the full top of the egg. Then gently slide a teaspoon in between the egg and the shell and slide it all the way around the egg.
The second is to make a paste between bowl #2 and #3 of the outer coatings. If you don’t do this, the crust will just crumble off the egg when you take it out of the fryer.
Find the recipe for the sausage here https://eastcoastketo.com/homemade-sausage/.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time25 min
- Total Time40 min
- Yield6 Scotch Eggs
- Energy295 cal
- 7 medium eggs
- 1/2 pound sausage meat (see below for link to recipe)
- 3 tbsp yellow mustard
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup coconut flour for dredging
- 1/4 cup flax meal for dredging
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup water
- lard, for deep-frying
Find our homemade Sausage recipe here
- Cover 6 eggs with cold water and cover.
- Heat until water begins to boil.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat. Let stand for 3 minutes only.
- Cover eggs with cold water to stop them from cooking. Let stand for 5 –10 minutes.
- Peel eggs using a teaspoon. Set aside.
- Combine sausage, and mustard.
- Separate mixture into six balls.
- Flatten each meat ball and add an egg to the centre.
- Gently wrap sausage around the entire egg.
- Wrap each egg in plastic warp and refrigerate for 10 minutes
- Lay out three bowls, one with coconut flour, one with the 7th egg/water and one with flax meal.
- Season each bowl with salt and pepper.
- Roll eggs in the coconut flour to coat, then cover in the beaten egg. Massage the egg/water so the coconut and egg form a paste. Then coat in flax meal.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Deep fry at 375 for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack over a sheet tray.
- Finish in a 375 oven for 15 minutes.
If you don’t like a runny egg, leave the egg in the boiled water for extra increments of 30 seconds until you get the perfect consistency.
- Calories from Fat207
- Food ComponentAmount/Serving% Daily Value*
- Total Fat23 g29.49%
- Saturated Fat8.7 g43.5%
- Total Carbohydrate5.7 g2.07%
- Dietary Fiber3 g10.71%
- Total Sugars.8 g
- Protein17 g34%