Newfoundland Fish Cakes were a staple for most East Coast family dinners or a Sunday Brunch. Our easy keto Fish Cakes are made from leftover cod fish, mixed with faux potatoes Cauliflower), onion and spices.
These Newfoundland Fish Cakes are so close to the real thing that they are good enough to even fool your Grandmother.
Newfoundland Fish Cakes – A Keto Family Favourite
Since you’ve been enjoying the keto lifestyle and that slim waist, I’m willing to bet you thought you would never get to taste another Newfoundland Fish Cake again. It took us awhile to find the right mix of cauliflower to fish for fish cakes that satisfied our own taste. The first couple of versions were either too fishy or too full of cauliflower. We suggest that you give our version a try and then feel free to tweak the recipe to your own tastes.
Newfoundland Fish Cakes have to made with Cod fish, of course. Add some of Mudder's Home made mustard pickles are you're all set for a delicious family meal.
These Newfoundland Fish cakes are a perfect replacement for the home cooked meal that your parents made, but with some small keto substitutes. With these fish cakes, you can safely indulge and be confident that your low carb or keto macros are fine and you don’t have to fear the scales.
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time20 min
- Total Time25 min
For the burger
- 1 cups cauliflower rice, boiled
- 4 tbsp butter
- medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lbs boneless cod, skinned and boiled
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp NL savoury or parsley
- 1 handful chives, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- Boil the cauliflower and the use paper towels to remove the excess water.
- Boil fish until it flakes easily
- Blend cauliflower and fish in a bullet or blender. Set aside
- Saute the onion in a medium frying pan until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for an addition two minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside to slightly cool.
- Combine all ingredients and assemble fish cakes. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.
-Don’t overfill the pan and re-grease as needed.
-Make certain to squeeze all the water out of the cauliflower for a good consistency.
- Calories from Fat0
- Food ComponentAmount/Serving% Daily Value*
Elevate this recipe
If you love our Newfoundland Fish Cakes, why not try them Eggs Benny style? Find the recipe here.