Bacon Covered Meatloaf
This has become one of our Favourite go-to recipes. We have always liked meatloaf, but when a close friend told us about a basic version of this recipe, we knew we had to make it our own.
The pieces of bacon that are chopped and incorporated into the meatloaf base, add to the richness of the dish and almost guarantee that the end product will be juicy and delicious. The added veggies will help you to get some extra goodness in your family’s tummy. When our kids were very young, we would blend our chosen vegetables in a bullet and hide them altogether. Our picky kids who didn’t like any vegetables were getting their servings of goodness without even knowing. Add your own veggies of choice and make this meatloaf your own.
Now, with the help of this recipe, meatloaf has reached a whole new version of ‘loved’ in our home, it has become the ultimate in comfort food, especially on a cold winters day. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time50 min
- Total Time1 hr 5 min
- Yield8 slices
- Energy417 cal
For the meatloaf
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 lbs. ground beef
- 1 lbs. ground pork
- 6 slices of bacon, ground or finely chopped.
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 4 oz. grated old cheddar
- ¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetables of choice, diced
For the bacon weave, sauce
- 12 slices bacon to cover the meatloaf
- 1/8 cup cream cheese
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- Make a single bed of bacon by placing six pieces of bacon side by side together on a piece of wax paper.
- Fold back every second piece of bacon in half and place another piece of bacon crosswise, then fold your pieces of bacon back over that piece of bacon, in line with the others. You should now have one piece of bacon woven between the others crosswise.
- Now fold every alternate piece of back over (Across the piece placed crosswise) and lay another piece of bacon.
- Repeat this process until you get to the edge, then start on the other side of the weave and repeat the process.
- With your hands, gently mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated together. The more you work the meat, the tougher it will be.
- Form into a large meatloaf shape on the lined baking tray. Cover with the bacon weave.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until thoroughly cooked in the centre.
For the sauce
- Gather the drippings and add 1/8 cup of cream cheese and xanthan gum to thicken the sauce. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Cut into inch thick pieces, top with sauce and serve.
- Calories from Fat414
- Food ComponentAmount/Serving% Daily Value*
- Total Fat46.75 g59.94%
- Cholesterol131.75 mg43.92%
- Sodium420.375 mg18.28%
- Total Carbohydrate2.5 g0.91%
- Dietary Fiber.5 g1.79%
- Total Sugars1 g
- Protein29 g58%