Broccoli Cheese Soup
Back in my pre-keto days, broccoli and cheddar soup was one of my indulgences, especially on a cool crisp fall day. It was one of those guilty pleasures that I would quickly devour, savouring every drop. Then I would immediately feel guilty and bad about myself for the rest of the day.
I often wondered why everything that tastes good was so bad for you. That oooey- gooey cheesy broth, loaded up with the earthy taste of broccoli and just enough bacon to satisfy that need for crunch. How could a girl resist?
Fast forward to our current days, when we've been educated that eating dietary fat doesn't make you fat....This guilt free, keto version is thickened with just a touch of xanthan gum and cream cheese. You will be pleasantly surprised at how delightful this recipe is. We usually cook this in a huge double or triple batch and freeze the extras for a quick meal or two later in the year. This recipe is an excellent keto/low carb option for any day of the year.
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time15 min
- Total Time20 min
- Energy285 cal
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/ 8 Cup White Onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic, finely minced
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Broccoli, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Cup 35% Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese; shredded
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum for thickening
- 2 Slices Bacon; 2 Crumbled, two not crumbled for garnish
- Saute onion with butter in a large pot until translucent. (Medium heat)
- Add garlic and cook for two minutes more.
- Add broth and broccoli to pot and cook broccoli until tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in cream cheese, whipping cream and cheddar cheese into soup.
- Add Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in xanthan gum.
- Allow to thicken.
- Serve hot with bacon crumbles, grated cheese and a side of avocado.
- Calories from Fat216
- Food ComponentAmount/Serving% Daily Value*
- Total Fat24 g30.77%
- Total Carbohydrate1 g0.36%
- Dietary Fiber0 g0%
- Protein12 g24%