Spruce tip shortbread cookies
We try to get many opinions on our recipes as we test them. We all have different likes and dislikes and we just don’t to go on our own food preference for our recipes. Spruce tip shortbread cookies challenged the palates of our entire tasting team, they all loved the flavour but just couldn’t identify the taste. They have a light citrusy taste that is delightful and almost tastes like spring. It’s a flavour that is unfamiliar to most people.
Harvest your spruce tips (or other evergreen tips) in the spring time when the papery husks start to break open to reveal the soft vibrant green new growth. The rule of thumb is not harvest only 1/3 of the tips for any given tree for sustainability.
These spruce tip shortbread cookies can be made as just regular old shortbread cookies by omitting the ground spruce tips, but we think they add a fresh delightful layer to the recipe. We vacuum seal small packets of tips and freeze them for a taste of spring any time of year.
- Prep Time5 min
- Yield12 cookies
- Serving Size1 cookie
- 1 cups of almond Flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners Swerve
- 1/4 cup spruce tips
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Preheat oven 300F.
- Combine flours in a small mixing bowl
- Combine swerve and spruce tips in a bullet and blend for one minute.
- Cream together butter, salt and Swerve mixture.
- Add the egg and vanilla into the butter and mix well.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into butter/Swerve mixture.
- Roll dough into small balls and place them on a cookie sheet
- Leave space between the cookies to allow them to spread.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are just starting to turn golden brown on the edges. Don’t allow them to turn brown, this will dry them out.
-Make sure you forage in a known area, avoid areas that may have been sprayed with chemicals.
-Spruce Tips can be omitted for a plain short bread cookie or alternate flavouring (berries, food grade essential oils etc.) may be added.
- Serving Size1 cookie
- Calories from Fat0
- Food ComponentAmount/ServingStandard DV% Daily Value*
- Total Carbohydrate3.3 g275 g1.2%
- Dietary Fiber1.8 g28 g6.43%
- Protein3 g50 g6%