This delicious and moist Lemon Poppy Seed Donut recipe has been passed down in the Pike family for generations. I still remember my grandmothers hand written version, written on a piece of loose-leaf and tucked into her favourite recipe book for safe keeping. Nan’s Kitchen smelling of lemon was a magical thing, back in the day and those crunchy little Poppy Seeds always made any recipe a little more special.
Grandma didn’t have the concentrated food grade essential oils way back when, instead she would have used the zest and juice of lemons to get that flavour. So, you will find our Lemon Poppy Seed Donut recipe uses a combination of the way my Grandmother used to do it and my own ketofied version. Bakers can buy the Lemon essential oil at any store where quality baking ingredients are sold. If you’re using the oils, make sure to use only a drop, this stuff is super concentrated. I use an 1/8 of a tsp measure to drop in the oil,so as to make sure I don’t accidentally add too much to the batter.
Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts – Old Fashioned donuts with a Twist
I also hold back on the Poppy Seeds until the very end. I then fold them into the batter with a spatula, that way they don't get all mashed up in the beaters.
Finally, you can spread the icing on as is, but my favourite way is to slightly warm the icing in a small sauce pan and dip each donut into the warmed icing for that smooth glazed look!
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time25 min
- Total Time35 min
For the Donut
- 1 cup of Almond Flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup confectioners Swerve
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 cup of Sour Cream
- 1/3 cup 35% whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- 1 drop lemon essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of Poppy seeds
For the Icing
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tablespoon of Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup of confectioners Swerve
- 2 tablespoons of 35 % whipping Cream
- 1/8 drop lemon oil
For the Poppy Seed Donut
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine all dry ingredients, with the exception of poppy seeds, in a large mixing bowl and set aside. We use a whisk to make sure the lumps are broken up.
- Combine wet ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well with a hand mixer or whisk.
- Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients into the well.
- Slowly incorporate the wet mixture into the dry ingredients with a hand mixer or whisk.
- When both are combined, use a spatula to fold in the poppy seeds.
- Spoon the mixture into a donut pan. Fill each hole ¾ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the donut.
- Cool donuts in the pan.
For the Icing
Cream ingredients together with a mixer until thoroughly mixer. Use immediately
Make sure you use a good food grade essential oil. We use Lorann’s super concentrated oils. Yu can find them here - http://www.lorannoils.com/lemon-oil-natural-1-dram-0020-0100
Recipe can also be used for individual muffins or cupcakes.
- Calories from Fat0
- Food ComponentAmount/Serving% Daily Value*
Share this recipe
Don’t have the right sweetener? Check HERE for our guide to Keto approved Sweeteners