Hot and Sour Soup
The secret to this delicious and tangy soup is all in the vinegar. We use apple cider, but it can be switched out for the more traditional option of rice wine vinegar.
Make this recipe your own by choosing your own protein/meat and adding more or less of the spicy/sour ingredients.
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time15 min
For the soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 oz pork or chicken, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coconut sauce
- 8 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tbsp hot sauce, to taste
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 4 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
Add the oil and fry the chicken/pork until lightly browned.
Add mushrooms and coconut sauce to the meat and oil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add broth, vinegar, ginger to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes
Sprinkle in xanthan gum slowly, keeping in mid it will thicken as it cools. Easy does it.
Whisk up the eggs and then drizzle them into the soup in a thin stream, while stirring the soup.
Stir in the tops/whites of the green onions.
Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Garnish with green onions tops.
If you’d like a spicier soup, add in more hot sauce.
Nutrition & Macro Information
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*